...[Millville Police Sgt. Robert] Vanaman used a knife to cut his arms after the shooting, in hopes of convincing authorities the two gunshots he fired were an act of self-defense... Six years. For shooting his wife in the chest. With the one year for evidence tampering, and counting the time he has already served, he will be eligible for parole in May 2014...
Robert Vanaman is not guilty of murder. Smoke and mirrors. Killing Barbara was "passion-provocation manslaughter." Really?
AND I OBJECT to the media continuing to speak as if Barbara really pulled a knife on lying Robert. Who said that? Only HE did. Barbara is not here to speak for herself - and I have no reason to believe Robert Vanaman. Nobody does. I tend to trim that media assumption out of my choice of excerpts - but the links to the articles are here.
TWO YEARS LESS IN PRISON FOR VANAMAN
The Daily Journal
Joseph P. Smith
2:27 AM, Sep. 29, 2011
[Excerpts] A state judge Wednesday resentenced Robert E. Vanaman to a total prison term of seven years for killing his estranged wife in 2006, reducing the amount of time the former Millville police sergeant is likely to spend behind bars. The new sentence, ordered by a state appellate court, effectively shaves two years off Vanaman's original nine-year combined prison term. Vanaman used his service weapon to shoot to death his 37-year-old wife, Barbara Elke Vanaman, on May 11, 2006, inside their Millville home. She had moved out and was seeking a divorce. Appearing in shackles in Cumberland County Superior Court, Vanaman was resentenced Wednesday to six years for the crime of "passion-provocation manslaughter." In addition, Judge Martin Herman re-imposed a consecutive one-year term for one count of evidence tampering. That's because Vanaman used a knife to cut his arms after the shooting, in hopes of convincing authorities the two gunshots he fired were an act of self-defense... Vanaman, now 42, must serve 85 percent of the six-year term before he is eligible for parole... Relatives of Vanaman and his wife were at the hearing, seated on different sides of the courtroom. The judge turned down a request from Deputy Public Defender Charles Sandilos to allow letters to be read from Vanaman's father, sister and two sons... ... [Full article here]
ROBERT VANAMAN SENTENCE / JUSTICE IT ISN'T
Press of Atlantic City
Tuesday, October 4, 2011
[Excerpts] ...[Robert Vanaman] was originally sentenced to one year for the evidence tampering and eight years on the manslaughter charge. That was in 2009. Last week, as the result of an appeals court decision ordering a resentencing, Vanaman's manslaughter sentence was reduced to six years. Six years. For shooting his wife in the chest. With the one year for evidence tampering, and counting the time he has already served, he will be eligible for parole in May 2014. Even though ... he put two bullets in his wife's chest and initially lied about it... The appellate court that ordered Superior Court Judge Martin Herman to resentence Vanaman ruled that Herman improperly used Vanaman's employment as a police officer as an aggravating factor in the original sentencing. Herman had said that because Vanaman was a police officer, he "violated the public trust." The appeals court said there was nothing in the law that allowed his employment to affect his sentencing in a case where he committed a violent act against his spouse... It is difficult to see how justice has been served in this case. [Full article here]
- [NJ] Barbara Vanaman shot & killed by police officer husband
- [NJ] Millville Police Sgt. Vanaman charged with murdering wife, Barbara - The I-shot-my-wife-in-self-defense was forseeably crumbling for Millville Police Officer Robert Vanaman as the prosecutor insisted that he can show that Vanaman's wounds (surface scratches) were self inflicted. Now it looks like his attorney is exploring blaming the gun for accidentally firing instead - the same gun that Vanaman said he deliberately shot at Barbara, - TWICE - to protect himself...
- [NJ] Wife-killer Police Sgt. Vanaman's bail reDUCED? (BLEH!) - Vanaman's status as a police officer makes him more of a flight risk. "Because he's facing the rest of his life behind bars and because he is a police officer is reason to flee... As a member of law enforcement, I can think of nothing more terrifying than being in prison for the rest of my life with the people I helped put there"... [He got bail anyway.]
- [NJ] Police Sgt. Vanaman's NEW excuse for killing wife Barbara?
- [NJ] Stopping wife-killer Officer Vanaman from claiming self-defense
- [NJ] Slow-mo shuffle towards the murder-of-Barbara trial
- [NJ] Wife-murder trial of (free as a bird) Sgt Vanaman could get delayed
- [NJ] Millville Police Sgt. Vanaman denied venue change for his murder-of-Barbara trial
- [NJ] Any excuse to think of slain Sgt's wife Barbara Vanaman is a good one
- [NJ] Wife killer Millville Police Sgt Vanaman gets even more time
- [NJ] Wife-killer Sgt. Vanaman pre-trial hearing postponed
- [NJ] Sgt. Vanaman's murder-of-Barbara trial date tentatively set for March
- [NJ] Almost 3 years after killing his wife Barbara, Sgt. Vanaman presents the "nut & slut" defense
- [NJ] Sgt. Vanaman's murder of wife Barbara trial begins tomorrow
- [NJ] DA: Evidence suggests Sgt. Vanaman cut slain Barbara's hands AFTER he shot her
- [NJ] Vanaman's guilty plea - Admits he's a liar but still gets to say Barbara picked up a knife?
- [NJ] Rounding up reactions to Sgt. Vanaman's manslaughter guilty plea
- [NJ] FAMILY OF MURDERED MILLVILLE POLICE SGT.'S WIFE, BARBARA ELKE GETZ VANAMAN, REQUESTS HELP
- [NJ] Impact statements before sentencing of ex-Police Sgt. Vanaman for killing Barbara
- [NJ] Defense seeks 5 year sentence for ex Sgt. Vanaman's murder of wife Barbara
- [NJ] Police Sgt. Vanaman gets 8 YEARS for KILLING WIFE Barbara!
- [NJ] Ex-Police Sgt. husband who murdered Barbara can get his pension payments back
- [NJ] Remembering Barbara - BARBARA ELKE GETZ VANAMAN had written a personal computer entry about her plans to leave Robert: "I don't know all the future holds for me. And I'm scared of what will happen in the future."
[police officer involved domestic violence oidv intimate partner violence ipv abuse law enforcement public safety lethal fatality fatalities murder teflon new jersey state politics outrageous]