[Note: According to Len Wawczak, his wife Paula Stark declined the police request that she do a polygraph test, and he complied.]
COPS: DREW PETERSON, EX-FRIEND SCUFFLE OUTSIDE BARBERSHOP
Former pal charged with misdemeanor battery
By Matthew Walberg email@example.com
and Mary Owen firstname.lastname@example.org
July 26, 2008
[Excerpts] A Bolingbrook man who reportedly worked with police to secretly record Drew Peterson was charged with misdemeanor battery after he pushed Peterson outside a barbershop Friday, police said."Best $100 I ever spent," said Len Wawczak as he left the Bolingbrook Police Department after posting the money as bail. Police said Wawczak shoved Peterson twice during a quarrel outside Hyroglyphics Barber Shop on Friday afternoon, witnessed by more than 20 people... Wawczak said that while he was upset to hear reports that Peterson had been saying he slept with Wawczak's wife, Paula Stark, that was not the reason for the confrontation. "You don't mess with my kid," he said. "I'm a parent who's going to stand my ground"... Joliet Herald-News reporter Joe Hosey—who has written a book about the Peterson case due to be released this fall—was on the scene when police arrived, and a photograph showing Wawczak and Peterson facing off in the parking lot was posted on the newspaper's Web site while the two men were still at the station giving their statements... Another police source said Hosey was at the barbershop before authorities arrived... Wawczak offered an explanation for Hosey's being there. He said the reporter was at his home interviewing him when Wawczak's son called from the barbershop and Hosey followed him over... Peterson's attorney Joel Brodsky said he did not know why the incident started and did not know whether his client claimed to have had a sexual relationship with Stark. "I don't know, I don't want to know, I don't need to know," Brodsky said. "All I know is that my client is at home, and the state's confidential informant is charged with misdemeanor battery." [Full article here]
MISSING WIFE SUSPECT, EX-PAL FIGHT IN PARKING LOT
By DANIEL J. YOVICH
July 26, 2008
[Excerpts] A man who says he cooperated with police and wore a wire during conversations with a former police sergeant considered a suspect in his wife's disappearance was charged Friday with battery after shoving Drew Peterson in a barber shop parking lot. Len Wawczak, a former friend of Peterson's, was charged with misdemeanor battery and released after posting $100 bond... "It was the best one hundred dollars I ever spent in my life... I'd do it again"... Wawczak is scheduled to appear for an arraignment on Sept. 10, Teppel said. If found guilty, he faces fines, court fees and community service... [Full article here]
DREW'S 'NOT GOING TO MESS WITH MY FAMILY'
BARBERSHOP BROUHAHA | Ex-friend who wore wire confronts Peterson in front of crowd, accuses him of falsely bragging about affair with wife
Chicago Sun Times
BY JOE HOSEY
July 26, 2008
[Excerpts] At noon Friday, Paula Stark heard from a TV reporter that Drew Peterson was bragging about sleeping with her. Stark and her husband, Len Wawczak, laughed about it at their Bolingbrook home, saying it wasn't true. But an hour later, when their son Len Jr. called to say Peterson was giving him dirty looks at a Bolingbrook barbershop, Wawczak had had enough... What followed was another sordid chapter in the Peterson saga, an expletive-filled, Jerry Springeresque parking lot dust-up -- witnessed by reporters -- that resulted in Wawczak, 41, shoving Peterson in the back and getting arrested on a battery charge... Wawczak and Stark hadn't seen Peterson since the news of their clandestine police help broke. Peterson and his attorney have gone on national TV to call them liars. Then came the barbershop phone call from Len Wawczak Jr. The 20-year-old was getting his hair cut when Peterson walked in. Len Jr. called his parents, telling them Peterson just gave him dirty looks, they said... Wawczak, intent on confronting Peterson about the dirty looks, found a spot between some cars to lie in wait. When Peterson emerged, Wawczak popped out and pounced.
"Hey, m-----f-----... You ain't nothing but a murderer. I'll beat the f--- out of you. Say something!"
"Hit me...I'm going down."
"You ain't nothing but a punk, Drew!"
"Someone call the cops"...
"Take the cool sunglasses off," Wawczak said, trying to knock them off Peterson, who dodged him.
"I ain't Stacy, bitch"... [Full article here]
Previous blog entries:
- [IL] Stacy Peterson, wife of Police Sgt. Peterson, is missing
- [IL] 18 domestic reports before cop's wife - Kathleen's - "accident"
- [IL] The price for blue silence - Stacy and Kathleen
- [IL] Murder suspect Sgt. Peterson reaches out to attorneys of America
- [IL] Sgt. Peterson says he's a very misunderstood man
- Sgt. Drew Peterson Still Free Despite Killing Kathy and Stacy
- [IL] Woe is Drew - He'd rather be a celebrity for something good
- What it sounds like when their women are missing
- [IL] How cops handle colleagues' domestic violence charges
- [IL] Peterson case: What about the kids?
- [IL] Birthday for missing ex sgt.'s wife Stacy Peterson & optimism from Chief.
- [IL] Ex-Sgt Peterson shocked Kathleen's death is ruled homicide?
- [IL] In Kathleen Savio's own words
- [IL] Ex-sgt Peterson's neighbor: "In the event that anything happens to me..."
- [IL] See blog calling for action on ex-Sgt. Drew Peterson crimes
- [IL] Resigned Sgt. Peterson - the problem is everyone & everything but him
- [IL] Stacy's still missing, Kathleen's still murdered, & Ex-Sgt Peterson is jailed, released on weapons charge
- [IL] A voice for missing Stacy, a new book's released, Drew's folding gun & his vacation with the kids
- [IL] Ex-Sgt. Peterson's friends were wired for sound.