- [CA] OFFICER ROBERTS' 17 FELONY COUNTS FOR ABUSE OF WIFE AND GIRLFRIEND - ...[Huntington Beach Police Officer James] Roberts is charged with 17 felony counts of false imprisonment, threats, domestic battery, aggravated assault, dissuading a witness by force or threat and vandalism...
- [CA] SHANNON ROBERTS FILES CLAIM - SAYS POLICE INVOLVED IN HER COP HUSBAND'S ABUSE OF HER - ...On another occasion, the former wife called 911 when [her husband, Huntington Beach Police Officer] James Roberts showed up at her home intoxicated and trashed her home by breaking and destroying furniture...
- [CA] OFFICER ROBERTS PLED NOT GUILTY TO 17 FELONY COUNTS FOR ABUSE OF WIFE AND GIRLFRIEND - ...Shannon Roberts also filed a claim for herself and another for her 6-year-old son against the city, alleging that police officers actively tried to cover up the abuse, which she says allowed it to continue. The claims, filed Sept. 24 and Oct. 14, respectively, name four employees and unknown 911 dispatchers...
- [CA] SHANNON ROBERTS' LAWSUIT CITES "A CONCERTED CONSPIRACY TO COVER-UP AND PROTECT" HER ABUSIVE POLICE OFFICER HUSBAND -..."James Roberts was able to carry on an extensive pattern of violent, threatening and otherwise illegal conduct directed at (Shannon Roberts and her son) as a result of a concerted conspiracy to cover-up and protect Roberts," said the suit filed Nov. 24...
- [CA] ANOTHER OFFICER ROBERTS RELATED LAWSUIT: EX'S CLAIM SAYS CITY, CHIEF, & OFFICERS COVERED UP ABUSE - ...The ex-girlfriend's claim said calls to 911 and reports to the Huntington Beach Police Department were "ignored," the city failed to discipline Roberts and conspired to cover up the abuse...
H.B. OFFICER ACCUSED OF RAPE TO SEE TRIAL
Jaimee Lynn Fletcher
August 27, 2010
[Excerpts] One of the felony charges against a former Huntington Beach police officer accused of raping his ex-wife and girlfriend has been dropped after prosecutors determined there was not enough evidence to back the allegation. The Huntington Beach Independent reported the Orange County District Attorney's office has dropped the false imprisonment charge against James Roberts III but the former officer will still face 19 felony counts including rape, sodomy and assault with a deadly weapon... Roberts, 34, pleaded not guilty in February and both his ex-wife and girlfriend have also filed civil lawsuits against the city alleging officials covered up the abuse. Roberts was fired from the police department on April 15 following an internal investigation. Roberts' ex-girlfriend cited various incidents... [Full article here]
FORMER OFFICER'S LAWYER QUESTIONS EX-WIFE: He points out inconsistencies in her testimony, including the location of a bruise.
Huntington Beach Independent
By Britney Barnes
August 13, 2010
[Excerpts] ...The defense continued the cross-examination of former [Huntington Beach Police] Officer James Roberts III's ex-wife in front of Superior Court Judge Richard J. Beacom at Central Justice Center in Santa Ana. A preliminary hearing is where prosecutors present evidence to a judge who rules if the case is strong enough to go to trial. Roberts, 34, is charged with alleged acts against his wife, an alleged mistress and another man while serving as an officer with the Police Department. He pleaded not guilty Feb. 26 to rape, forcible sodomy, false imprisonment by violence or deceit, criminal threats, domestic battery, aggravated assault, dissuading a witness and vandalism... Defense Atty. John Barnett cast aspersions on the testimony the ex-wife gave Thursday and highlighted inconsistencies as well as questioned her motives for bringing forward the charges. A number of text messages and e-mails she allegedly sent appeared to show she wanted to re-establish a relationship, including a sexual one, Barnett said. He questioned why she continued to want a relationship with him, specifically a sexual one, after he allegedly raped her and she feared him, he said. "Sometimes I would [sleep with him] so he would give me money … sometimes I would do it to be nice to him and give him what he wanted," she said, also adding that there were many reasons for continuing a consensual sexual relationship. Barnett also brought forward a photograph of the ex-wife with a bruise on the back of her left arm that was given to the Orange County Sheriff's Department as evidence of domestic violence... "If you fell as you said you fell there would be an injury to your right arm not your left arm," he told the judge. The ex-wife testified that she might not remember exactly what happened, but she did hit her arm, she said... "I was in a very scary situation," she testified. She told Barnett she was too afraid that her ex-husband would kill her and her son if she reported the alleged incidents to the authorities... [Full article here]
[police officer involved domestic violence oidv intimate partner violence (IPV) abuse law enforcement public safety california]