Featured Post

PINNED POST. CLICK HERE: Keeping these 3 videos of officer-involved domestic violence fatalities on top from now on...

Officer-Involved Domestic Fatalities - 1 Officer-Involved Domestic Fatalities - 2 [WA] Tragedy Will Occur If They Don't Have ...

Custom Search

Saturday, January 17, 2009

[MA] Officer Barber arrested. "As Garrett's wife, I want to clarify a few things"

...As Garrett's wife, I want to clarify a few things. The charge of domestic assault and battery is incorrect... Garrett is a devoted, loving, and caring husband and father... He simply hung up our phone while I was acting irrationally... He was arrested against my wishes... I failed to maintain my composure and Garrett is suffering from my actions. I personally feel his actions were commendable, not arrestable... I am sincerely hoping that all charges will be dismissed...

Officer arrested on domestic assault charge
Georgetown Record, MA
By Sarah Menesale / georgetown@cnc.com
Wed Jan 14, 2009
[Excerpts] Georgetown Police Officer Garrett Barber was arrested on charges of domestic assault and battery and intimidation of a witness Friday night in Groveland. Barber... was arrested at 7:20 p.m. by Groveland Officers Kevin Woodman and Sgt. Dwight MacDonald... Barber is out on paid administrative leave until further notice, reported Georgetown Police Chief James Mulligan, who would not comment... As a result of the domestic violence arrest, Barber had to turn in his weapons and all permits to carry are rescinded by the court. Barber pleaded not guilty to the two charges during his arraignment at Haverhill District Court on Monday... Judge Stephen Abany imposed a stay away order and also gave Barber a 60-day warning, meaning if he gets into any other further legal trouble while this case is pending he could be held without bail for up to 60 days, explained O’Connell. The case was continued until Jan. 28 for a pre-trial hearing... Barber was appointed a full-time officer last January after 13 years as a reserve officer in Georgetown. Due to budget cuts his position was in jeopardy last year, but was restored through donations and an increase, at fall special Town Meeting in November, of $23,726 to cover a deficit in salaries for the fiscal year 2009 operating budget. [Full article here]

COMMENTS [EXCERPTS]


tingyting
2 days ago
Garrett; I love you, truly and deeply! As Garrett's wife, I want to clarify a few things. The charge of domestic assault and battery is incorrect, there was no battery charge. Also, there was no stay away order issued. Garrett is a devoted, loving, and caring husband and father and his actions were done in an attempt to protect his family from exactly what is happening now. He simply hung up our phone while I was acting irrationally. Unfortuately, the call to the police had already connected. He was arrested against my wishes for merely hanging up the phone. As some of you may know, Garrett is currently working on securing his position with the Georgetown Police Dept. which has resulted in a great deal of stress and uncertainties in our household. I failed to maintain my composure and Garrett is suffering from my actions. I personally feel his actions were commendable, not arrestable. The next court date is January 28, 2009 and I am sincerely hoping that all charges will be dismissed. Anybody who knows Garrett and his dimeanor must know that these charges are unjust and unfair to our family...

cfarr
I have to agree with one of the earlier posts that apparently has been removed. Garrett has a major temper... looks to me like he just thinks he can do what he want... how he wants.. when he wants... I have known him for many many years.. and to be honest quite surprised it took this long. Many of us (if not MOST of us) have to endure great stresses, so dont use the 'securing his position at work' an excuse. Look at the 100's that have lost their job. Good luck Kelly... try not to kid yourself

GPDREFORM
PLEASE DO NOT DELETE MY POST AGAIN I AM NOT VIOLATING ANY POOL RULES! First, I want to extend my sympathies to Mrs. Barber and her family in this difficult time. I can only imagine all that is going through your mind. But I feel that what I have to say is very necessary and I will also be bringing it up to our towns selectmen... Mrs. Barbers response reads like a person in fear. Because of my education in the field I am also haunted by her words. She blames herself for everything. Mrs. Barber blames Garrett Barber for nothing. It reads almost like Garrett wrote it himself. She praises her husband diligently and faults herself constantly. Mrs. Barber never mentions why she was calling the police, the terror she felt that triggered the phone call. Only to say that it was her fault and Garrett was only trying to protect his family. Regrettably, no matter how many times I read Mrs. Barbers letter, I cannot construct a scenario that would produce those results. Besides that, a sole 911 hang up would NEVER produce an arrest, but a domestic assault situation would. So if Mrs. Barbers story was true then none of the results that did happen would have happened. Therefore I have to wonder if Mrs. Barber and her children are truly safe. The only advice for Mrs. Barber I can offer is instead of investing in a good lawyer as Poohster suggests, she should invest in a good counselor. Mrs. Barber needs to see she isnt and doesnt have to do this alone. I regret now, not saying what I knew when I had the chance in November. But it is a scary thing to stand up against something that is so strong; something that in a split second could destroy your life, whether its lying about a crime, planting evidence, or with a trigger. But at this moment I have the strength to get this off my chest with the intention that if Officer Garrett Barber hurts anyone else I wont feel anymore regret for keeping it to myself. I am not trying to destroy or slander anyones life. I am only trying to tell what I know is true and to save anyone from having to endure similar circumstances. Thank you for your time. And again Please Do Not Delete My Post. I Have A Right To Tell The Truth!!!

gardenwitch
14 hours ago
Hmmm my husband went was laid off from his job of nearly 20 years during the summer (he since has found another job...less pay but a job thankfully) and all though money has been tight and our 'fun money' is no longer available NEVER has my husband nor I let this 'bump in our path' get us down and certainly not to the point of domestic abuse!!!! Nothing warrants that . Millions of people are being lay-offed and let go during this very hard time of our economy, but they aren't going around harressing and abusing other people.I do not live in Georgetown, but I would be afraid to have Mr. Barber on the streets of my town. My thought and prayers are with you Mrs. Barber. You sound like a very frightened person cow-towing to the actions of your husband. I hope you both receive the counceling and help you need in your marriage

GHSalumn95
14 hours ago
Why dont all you haters and finger pointers wait before you slander a good mans name? He is innocent until proven guilty....GPDREFORM, I have no 'criminal justice' degree, but i am pretty sure i read that somewhere. Having had a similar situation happen to me i know just how unjust a police officers assessment of a situation can be. My wife and i had an argument, neighbors called and when an above the law police officer came to my house, i felt like i was living in Nazi Germany. I never verbally abused my wife, physically or mentally. I had a cop basically do the same thing to me that Groveland did to Gary. His wife is not frightened, or writing this letter as Gary stands over her with a bat...She is telling it as it really happened! What is with you people and conspiracy theories? Now i will say this, if Mr. Barber, as he should be, be reinstated, i hope he has a whole new outlook on what constitutes being arressted for domestic violence, and hopefully can help the rest of his police buddies make better assessments in the future so those of us who are good husbands and dont in any way hurt our wives be arressted and have our lives negatively affected.

Poohster
14 hours ago
He shouldn't have to have a 'whole new outlook' on domestic violence, he is a police officer. What is with better assessments in the future.? Does that mean we bury past mistakes when it concerns historical arrests? Getting arrested should not be part of the training and should not add value to future assessments of domestic violence. I don't think anyone is sharing a theory here.

cfarr
13 hours ago
...Groveland (where the arrest took place) is a neighboring town to which Georgetown Police work fairly closely with them, and visa versa. Its called mutual aid. As a matter of fact... in the past (and probably present) there has been employees of the Georgetown Police Dept that have also worked for the Groveland Police Dept. I happen to know that the arresting officers have been on the job for many many years. My point here is I am sure they know the Barber's (at least Garrett) and I am sure if it wasnt a serious issue, they would have made it go away. Do you understand? Its called officer courtesy. However, if the situation is extreme... one must act.

bff
13 hours ago
I've know the Barbers both for a very long time. I care very much for both of them individually and as a family... The Barbers are a loving and caring family, I've seen that first hand. Neither of them has given any reason for concern for either's well being or safety. Garrett is a gentleman. A good father, husband and friend. He would not put the people he loves in danger, especially by his own hand. It is important that that be understood... It is not a civilians responsibility to evaluate an officers perception of a situation. And I'll add Mrs Barber is not 'kidding herself' nor is she 'in anything alone'. She has her husband!

tingyting
13 hours ago
garrett has never and i am confident that he will never abuse or assault me, physically, mentally or verbally. In case anyone missed it the fact is that i was being irrational. I also thought if nothing else i could get one of his so called 'brothers' there to keep the situation from escalating in front of our son. I believe there was some kind of conspiracy between departments to make certain nobodys badge got tarnished except for Garrett's. I realize people lose their jobs sometimes, in fact iI am experiencing it myself right now, but it's different when somebody is getting wrongfully terminated because of unresolved health issues. Maybe some day soon everyone will be privy to whats going on behind closed doors with garrett's job, but that's not today...

fishbowl
13 hours ago
If you read the preface to the police log on this website it reads that all are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Lets remember that as we follow this thru. I read Kelly Barbers testimonial as sincere and honest. If you know her, she is a strong woman who tells it like it is, and wouldnt put her words out there unless they were true. As far as Garrett Barber, I remember not long ago, seeing him on television receiving congratulations when he was proudly appointed as a full time officer by his cheif. Lets look back, didnt Garrett have something to do with the apprehension of a suspect of one Georgetown's very few armed roberies? Have you seen him as a first responder to medical situations, quickly grabbing a medical bag from his cruiser and rushing in to help. Oh by the way, did you see him proudly flying the Georgetown colors at the sports game on television, in numerous parades, and other celebrational venues, in the department's color guard? (on his own free time) Looks to me like DEDICATION. As an officer, he is sharp, and in tune and very professional. He takes extreme pride in his appearance in uniform, and in his belongings, and it resonates thru his personal life. He is a caring and dedicated father and husband as well. He spends a great deal of his free time with his wife, and son. Fact from the fiction is clear. How can you be on the force in a small town for 13 years and be reckless
or uneffective? I wouldnt think that you would recently get appointed full time officer if you are such. Im certain you'll see this cleared up, and praise the Town Officials of Georgetown ahead of time for sticking by Garrett as he has done for us. These officers are our Hometown Security in Georgetown and all do a great job. Its time to support our 'local troops' in troubling times. They face many dangers, and may not be liked by all for doing what we hire them for. They are in fact human beings too! You can comfortably put your head on your pillow at night with our dedicated officers like Garrett on the job.

GPDREFORM
11 hours ago
...Thirdly, again Mrs. Barber I am so remorseful of your situation and please take everything I say with the most respect typed words can convey. But the fact that there was a situation that you wanted aid in resolving because of its escalation in front of your son says enough. I am so heartbroken for you. For it to be a conspiracy more than one person at the Georgetown Police Department and the Groveland Police Department would have in advance planned for you to call the police on your husband. This seems like a lot to hinge on the off chance you might call 911 on Garrett Barber for a domestic assault... Your statements have me fear for your safety. Of the countless domestic cases I have come across in my years I can tell you that you are almost answering textbook abused spousal responses. This makes me question the validity of your posts. That being said, you need to talk to someone. You need to realize that being a good police officer, father, and husband means that you DO NOT go overboard ever. I hope that it isnt too late for you and your family to realize this...

Poohster
11 hours ago
I think good will and public relations are all very important. I question 13 years on the police department with no police academy training. Why not? I would not want a teacher in the school that doesn't have a teacher's certificate to educate my children.

GPDREFORM
11 hours ago
18 years old, G.E.D. and a valid drivers license... its all you need...

GHSalumn95
11 hours ago
...Good luck Garrett, not with the court hearings, because with your wife as your biggest supporter and her swearing to your innocense, as my wife did, they dont have a case against you. I feel bad for you in that after all your hard work and dedication for the past 13 years, this is how some people thank you. Ridiculous!

Poohster
11 hours ago
...To Mrs. Barber the fact that you called in the 'brothers' so it didn't escalate into anything more in front of your son, sends out EVEN MORE red flags. I hope you both receive the help you need.

gardenwitch
10 hours ag
Ohhh and one more thing, the police officers would not have arrested their 'brother' if they didn't feel a threat to you or children's safety. I commend the arresting officers for looking out for your safety first over their brotherhood. My concern (and i am guilty in this for posting) is that all this attention will heighten the hostile situation for you Mrs. Barber with your husband. Don't take it out on her Garret, your poor wife is sheepishly trying to defend you. My thoughts and prayers still remain with you.

[POLICE OFFICER INVOLVED PERPETRATED DOMESTIC VIOLENCE LAW ENFORCEMENT RECANT, RECANTED]

3 comments:

  1. newsflash:yes some small town good ole' boys departments DO look the other way when their"brothers" are caught abusing their wives:oh yeah,they can and do conspire among themselves to cover up even repeat offenders just to spare the department the bad publicity ,even though several of their own have been caught and charged with various charges;stealing guns and drugs from evidence;sexual misconduct;drug usage and even dealing drugs while on duty;WHAT UPSTANDING INDIVIDUALS YOU ARE DUPONT POLICE DEPARTMENT OF PENNSYLVANIA!I say that with the most sarcastic tone as possible. The town of Dupont Pennsylvania;hey it USED to be an O.K. place to raise your kids. So my good readers, have you been enlightened with the misdeeds of the 'KEYSTONE COPS? ALL these local departments in Northeastern PA need a major overhaul with BIG changes to be made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lane Judson Made His Daughter A Promise
    http://www.lanejudson.com/

    Officer-Involved Domestic Violence Network [OIDVN]
    http://www.policedomesticviolence.com/

    Abuse of Power
    http://www.abuseofpower.info/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have witnessed Mr. Barber's display of anger and abuse of power. It was not warranted and truly frightening. He displayed the worst conduct I have ever seen in a police officer. I do feel for his wife and family, but I also know his pattern of behavior demonstrates that the Groveland Police followed correct procedure and the arrest must have been warranted. I spent many years counseling domestic abuse victims. I know the ropes and police do not cart someone off in cuffs for a minor family squabble. There has to be evidence of physical abuse present. I hope he can get the help he needs to recover and reunite with his family, yet I am not comfortable with the fact he may be back in a cruiser anytime soon armed and possibly dangerous.

    ReplyDelete

Please post updates or email them to behindthebluewall@gmail.com. No cop-hating or victim-hating comments allowed. Word verification had to be added due to spam attacks on this blog.