Custom Search

Thursday, November 8, 2007

[TN] No longer with us: Officer David Carey

Vanderbilt Police Officer Found Dead At Home
WKRN
November 7, 2007
Police in Murfreesboro are investigating after an officer with the Vanderbilt University Police Department was found shot to death in his home. Family members found Officer David Carey in his Murfreesboro residence last Tuesday night. Murfreesboro Police responded to his home just after 12 Midnight Wednesday. They said Carey apparently died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head but his death is under investigation.

Out of his control
Police officer, accustomed to helping others, learns to be the "helpee"
Vanderbilt Medical Center
By Craig Boerner
6/2006
Vanderbilt Police Officer David Carey is accustomed to helping others through his job, but on April 7 he became a person in need of assistance when a tornado ripped through his Charlotte, Tenn., home with three family members inside... Carey, 34, was off work when he received a call from his nephew that a tornado warning had been issued for the area near his home, which he shared with sister Regina Landis, brother-in-law Jeff Landis, and their children Charles, 16, and Amber, 12... "Then my other sister called and said, 'The house was hit and Regina and the kids were in it and everything is gone,'" he said. "I don't even remember driving after that, it hit me like a ton of bricks." Carey lost everything he had in a matter of 10 seconds. "I am so used to having control, and I am so used to taking care of everybody else... When this came through I got this sense of helplessness … it's totally out of your control. It is a sinking feeling, it's like I was drowning"... Regina and the children were inside when the tornado hit but survived after being rushed to the hospital and receiving "a couple hundred" stitches and staples collectively... Carey now has an apartment in Nashville and his sister and brother-in-law have closed on a new house...

13 comments:

  1. DAVID I MISS YOU ALREADY. YOU WILL BE MISSED, ESPECIALLY YOUR LAUGH. I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, I HOPE THE PAIN IS GONE NOW.
    SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know David but I know love and loss. You brought tears to my eyes in the sweetest and saddest of ways.
    Hugz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi my name is Regina Landis and I am Davids sister. He was the best brother a girl could ever want. He was always there whenever I needed him. I could always count on him for love and support. He gave the best, strongest, longest and most loving hugs that I have ever received. He also had the best comebacks to anything that was ever said to him or around him. He left us with alot of great memories and three beautiful boys that look and act just like him.
    I miss you soooo much buba.
    Love always
    Your Little Sis Regina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you too Regina. Your days at CH changed my life, especially the time spent there with you.

      Delete
  4. Regina. HUGS. He sounds like a great man who loved sooo much. Thank you for posting that. His love for you is evident - & how much he wanted to make everything alright for the people he loves.

    I'm so sorry the hands of time can't be turned back so that those who love him could have a chance to encircle and hold him through what he was feeling.

    It's sad from here - your loss is immeasurable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss you David!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We miss you David!!! The E.R. isn't the same without your smiling face. We know you are still here keeping us safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yesterday was incredibly hard for me, not a day goes by I don't think of you and miss you. We could have had a good thing together. I'm so angry at you for not letting your "wife" go even though both of you had moved on to other relationships even if hers was with your brother. She manipulated you and you let her. Tried to trap you with that 3rd child. But me I loved you and wanted a life with you. I was going to help you with your drinking and depression. I loved you and still hold a place for you in my heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are not in a position to talk as if you are better than anyone else.

      Delete
    2. AnonymousJune 09, 2013

      Seriously?? You must have been one of many.

      Delete
  8. I still miss you every day. Especially the hard times when I know you are the only person on the planet who could make me laugh through my tears. I hope you have internet in Heaven. I love you always.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was in David's training class at VUPD. There were 6 of us. 2 have chosen to take their lives. For those reading this, don't let the darkness that comes with this job take over..... Call anyone.... Any brother or sister in Blue will know the pain and the need to let it go.... Don't let the shadows take you...... David was a brother.... A few years later we lost another of the same class to suicide....... Don't let the darkness win.... There is always someone there.

    ReplyDelete

Please post updates or email them to behindthebluewall@gmail.com. No cop-hating or victim-hating comments allowed. Word verification had to be added due to spam attacks on this blog.