Excerpts from the news:
A state trooper was arrested in the bloody slaying of a dentist [Dr. John Yelenic] who was in the middle of an acrimonious divorce from the woman with whom the trooper was living... [Trooper Kevin] Foley likely entered the house through an unlocked back door, said Deputy Attorney General Anthony Krastek... Foley, who was jailed without bond Thursday, "had a well-known hatred for Dr. Yelenic" that he commented on daily and even told fellow troopers he prayed for Yelenic's death... Trooper Deana Kirkland advised Mr. Foley last year before the murder that he should stop talking about wishing for Dr. Yelenic's death. She said he responded, "I just can't help it."... Foley once asked another trooper if he would like to help kill Yelenic... Yelenic, who was mired in bitter divorce proceedings, hadn't been sleeping well, so he began staying downstairs, nodding off on a couch while watching television, and was known to have an occasional cocktail to chase the insomnia... Bobbi Mack, of Murrysville, another one of Yelenic's friends, said Yelenic had been threatened while he was amidst his divorce.
I said, 'Why don't you call the police?'
He said, 'They won't help me'"...
- Police seize dentist's will, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Rich Cholodofsky, April 26, 2006
- A year later, mystery of Blairsville dentist's slaying persists, Paul Peirce and Richard Gazarik
- Tribune-Review, April 9, 2007
- Trooper arrested in dentist's killing, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, Jim McKinnon, September 28, 2007
- Trooper charged in murder of dentist, The Tribune-Democrat, Joe Mandak, September 27, 2007