Lawyer: Ex-girlfriend of Harrison cop won't testify against him
The Journal News / Lohud.com, NY (Westchester County, NY)
January 18, 2008
The key witness in the domestic violence trial against former Harrison police union President Ralph Tancredi will not testify against the officer, her lawyer said yesterday. The witness, Tancredi's ex-girlfriend, will invoke her Fifth Amendment rights against self-incrimination if forced to take the stand, Jonathan Lovett said. As a result, Lovett - who also is representing Tancredi - and police union attorney Gustavo Vilo want the Westchester County District Attorney's Office to drop all charges against Tancredi. Tancredi appeared in state Supreme Court in White Plains yesterday on criminal charges that he harassed and menaced his ex-girlfriend, Sofia Saenz, and her new boyfriend last year. Justice Sam Walker consolidated all charges against Tancredi into one case, allowing Lovett and Vilo to work together in his defense... Saenz has filed a federal civil rights lawsuit, claiming she was coerced to file an order of protection against Tancredi by Barbara Egenhauser, the chief of the District Attorney's Domestic Violence Bureau, and Harrison police...
EXCERPTS FROM OLDER ARTICLES:
THE DISTRICT ATTORNEY'S OFFICE SUCCESSFULLY ARGUED THAT SOFIA SAENZ WAS AFRAID OF TANCREDI... HE [TANCREDI] IS A PLAINTIFF IN FOUR FEDERAL LAWSUITS AGAINST HARRISON POLICE, AND A DEFENDANT IN THREE DOMESTIC VIOLENCE CASES INVOLVING HIS EX-GIRLFRIEND... [THE] CHARGE OF CRIMINAL CONTEMPT EMANATES FROM TANCREDI'S ALLEGED VIOLATION OF A TEMPORARY ORDER OF PROTECTION ISSUED IN THE HARASSMENT CASE REQUIRING HIM TO STAY AWAY FROM AND NOT COMMUNICATE WITH [EX-GIRLFRIEND SOFIA] SAENZ. COURT PAPERS INDICATE THAT HE HAD HIS MOTHER CALL SAENZ SEVERAL TIMES IN AUGUST ASKING HER NOT TO SEEK AN ORDER OF PROTECTION AND THAT HE SENT HER FOUR TEXT MESSAGES. THE OTHER CHARGES LEVELED FRIDAY - THIRD-DEGREE MENACING AND PETTY LARCENY, MISDEMEANORS, AND SECOND-DEGREE HARASSMENT, A VIOLATION - STEM FROM A JUNE 15 INCIDENT... TANCREDI IS ACCUSED OF PHYSICALLY MENACING SAENZ AS SHE WAS GOING OUT ON A DATE WITH ANOTHER MAN... AFTER BEING PROCESSED, HE WAS RELEASED WITHOUT BAIL... SAENZ HAS FILED A FEDERAL CIVIL RIGHTS LAWSUIT, CLAIMING SHE WAS COERCED TO FILE AN ORDER OF PROTECTION AGAINST TANCREDI.. [IN 2005] TANCREDI ACKNOWLEDGED STOPPING SAENZ IN HER CAR, SMASHING HER WINDSHIELD, THROWING HER INTO HIS CRUISER AND HANDCUFFING HER...
- Harrison PBA president charged with harassment, Lohud.com, Leslie Korngold, August 11, 2007.
- Harrison police officer pleads not guilty in bar incident, The Journal News, Leslie Korngold, August 18, 2007.
- Restraining order issued against Harrison PBA president, Lohud.com, Leslie Korngold, August 25, 2007.
- Embattled Harrison police officer gets union lawyer's help, Lohud.com, Leslie Korngold, September 11, 2007.
- Ex-girlfriend of Harrison cop says prosecutor forced her to file protective order, Lohud.com, Rebecca Baker, December 7, 2007.
- 2007 a year of lawsuits for Harrison police, Lohud.com, Rebecca Baker, December 29, 2007.